Thatchers Treehouse started as a way to keep friends and family informed of Thatcher's open heart surgery, progress and struggles with Tetralogy of Fallot, a congenital heart defect, or CHD. We are happy to report that he is doing very well and will continue to post about his medical situations when they arise. Thanks for coming to the Treehouse!

Wednesday, March 19, 2008

The other shoe dropped....

OK, so I thought I was so glad that the surgery was over and I could nurse him back to health. In the NICU you are truly spoiled rotten. Thatcher had possibly the best nurses in the world and then they moved us to the floor............HATE IT! I didn't realize how limited the nurses are up here. I didn't realize that the doctor on call doesn't even stop in and talk to you, to at THE VERY LEAST, make you feel positive in the system. It isn't that the nurses aren't doing there job. Its that they are limited in what they can and cant do. And at night, the doctor is ON CALL which means they have to page him, wait for him to call back, wait for him to decide on a patient he has never seen, then wait for the pharmacy to deliver! It took them almost an hour to get our formula to feed him. Then the Loritab made him vomit so I asked them what to do about that and they said they could try to get the order but they would have to call the IV Team and they do things on an emergent basis. In my head I am thinking, "soooo, a heart patients pain and screaming is NOT an emergent basis?" I know, there are a lot of worse patients out there, but I am pretty sure it is not conducive to good healing to let him cry so hard and be so miserable when he has stitches in the valves of his heart and pericardium- just a guess. I finally had my little tantrum- although I am maintaining that it was warranted. I called the social worker who talked me through a little of it and in the end got on the phone with the charge nurse and we figured out a plan of attack for the night. That's all I really wanted was to be informed and have him keep food down. The IV team came very quickly BUT had to try 3 times to get an IV in. That wasn't helpful, NOT FUN, NOT FUN AT ALL. I also called Ryan as he was on his way home and asked him to take the kids to my moms and come back. I was too exhausted to have this little "tiff" by myself. I was questioning whether we should be up here or not, I mean 26 hours after open heart surgery is pretty amazing and maybe they jumped the gun. They are only human and it is possible that they make mistakes. Today he is moaning a lot and it is horrible. It just makes you want to cry. He seems to be sleeping a little better today. Bonnie was here (Dr Hawkins NP) she is so great. She was pretty defensive this morning when we talked about his pain and talked me through what she wants to do and I explained to her what I want to do. (I am not sure she liked my attitude) but I feel better now with his pain care. Also this morning the nurses are much better. Maybe I just need some TLC too. But I feel I am entitled. I took a shower today! It was FREEZING and I was miserable, but at least my hair is washed! Yea for me! Thatcher is sleeping now and they will come back in an hour for his meds so I am going to try to get some sleep. Thanks again to all of you that have kept us in your prayers. We appreciate all the positivity!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness guys.. how frustrating !!! Hopefully tonight goes better!!

Michelle said...

Hey guys,
Sorry things have been so crappy. Hopefully they'll get on top of his discomfort and pain and he'll move forward from here. Let us know if you need anything. As of tomorrow at 12:00, I am home for the weekend. If you need help with the boys (or anything else) let us know.
We love you guys. Take care and know we are thinking of you.
Jared, Michelle and Kids

Sunshine Marketing said...

Sometimes, it is good to throw little fits.

Cabo Pictures

Background