OK, so I have to vent a little, hopefully it will make you laugh.
I have had good luck with the Instacares that I have taken Thatch to. He gets sicker than most kids when he gets sick, and he gets sick faster. Of course it is almost always on the Friday night, so we head down to Instacare. This particular time, was- to say the least- ODD.
The nurse that took his vitals did a strep culture and ran it while the doctor was with another patient. Six minutes later, the doctor came in and stated that his culture was negative. Then he proceeded to ask us what Thatcher was hospitalized for in March. I told him he had open heart surgery a year ago, March. He then checked his ears and throat and said he would be right back, he wanted to get his results from the throat culture.
Ryan and I just sat there, huh? Didn't he just tell us that they were negative?
He came back in and shook our hands and asked us how Thatcher was feeling.
He asked about his surgery 2 months ago. I, AGAIN, informed him that it was a year ago, and he commented that he didn't look at the year, only the month.
Yep....again. He then proceeded to ask us if we wanted a throat culture done.
Ummmm, what? Sure...we already did that. He then left the office and returned with our results and informed us that they were negative. (They were attached to his clipboard the entire time.)
Ryan whispered in my ear and asked me if it was Groundhog Day.
I then spoke to the doctor and reminded him that Tylenol and Motrin were not doing the trick. He prescribed Zithromax and we were on our way.
When we were in our seat belts in the car, we both burst into laughter.
Did that really just happen?
Did he really just ask us three times about our the same test?
I guess it could have been Groundhog Day...... because I think Ryan was at the point that he was going to punch "Ned" (the doctor). I was glad he was with me because I don't think anyone would have believed that our doctor has dementia.
I know some of you in my heart group wont find this particularly funny, because it is inept and incompetent, and we cannot really afford that with most of these kids, but I had to laugh because it was so strange! I forget stuff all the time, but....I am not a doctor.
I hope he didn't tell the same person they had cancer 3 or 4 times in the same visit that day.
Anyway, Happy Groundhog Day!
Thatchers Treehouse started as a way to keep friends and family informed of Thatcher's open heart surgery, progress and struggles with Tetralogy of Fallot, a congenital heart defect, or CHD. We are happy to report that he is doing very well and will continue to post about his medical situations when they arise. Thanks for coming to the Treehouse!
Monday, June 1, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




7 comments:
That's actually pretty funny! Hope he gets feeling better:)
Was this the Instacare over by the new hospital? We saw a doctor there who was just like that ... introduced himself to us 3 separate times. Hope little bubba is doing better.
Wow. That is hilarious!!!!! I can't believe that!!
Ha! I think that is soooo stinkin' funny! Sounds like you guys handled it REALLY well. I would have looked at the doctor and been like, "wait, you're just kidding, right?". Oh, my. That is so funny! I'll be sure to NOT visit that instacare. Ha!
The first thing I did when I read this was freak out... I would be one of those heart mom's you mentioned that would think this doctor was a total crazy person... But then, I need to be more like you... You are right he is JUST a normal guy, maybe a really tired guy.... I am glad the tests were negative. Hope your little man is feeling better soon.
The hair do just bring a smile to my face. Hope you are having a great summer so far. We head to Boston on Thur for a wedding. I hope my boys will behave. I am nervous. Say a little prayer for me.
OMG. I think that was the same doc that treated Jess the other day. I could have sworn they looked at the wrong foot 20 times and then asked her to stand on the one she broke so that they could get a better look at how swollen the good foot was.
Post a Comment